I Never Built a Skyscraper (Poem)

I never built a skyscraper,

But built hundreds of towers

With legos and blocks.

Only to see them knocked to the ground 

In glee.


I never directed a Broadway play,

But directed tens of children 

In the Christmas Play.

Watching them laugh and giggle 

At being little Whos visited by the Grinch

And creating the Nativity Story 

On the school stage.


I never farmed acres of land

Or tended orchards of fruit,

But gave my children roots 

And a safe place to grow.

Family to call upon in times

Of celebration and sorrow


I never trod on the road less traveled,

But taught my children to follow their own path

That at each juncture there is a choice 

And accept not only the consequences of 

Choosing the road taken

But not choosing the other.


I never became a master of anything 

But became a jack of all trades

Cooking, cleaning, teaching, comforting.

My titles were many, wife, mother, daughter, sister,

Chef, secretary, nurse, police, and then

Sometimes an intern

Sometimes a manager,

Sometimes the dictator.


I tried to balance, often feeling like 

Goldilocks and her beds.

Never knowing if my help

Was too much,

Or not enough,

Praying it was just right.


I made my choices, 

I made my bed.

I have no problem lying in it.

I chose to live without guilt

I chose to live without regret.

If there be a few thorns,

A few thoughts that might prick,

They are mine to shave away.

I take the joy 

I take the pain

I’ll not curse either.  

For without the one how can one 

Know the depths of the other.


I never built a skyscraper

But built a life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Much Loved Woman

Spaghetti for Christmas (recipe)

Who’s Who of Indian Relatives