Hallyu (Korean Wave) Or How K-dramas Made Me Feel




            It started simply enough by being bored and in desperate need of a distraction.  Somehow Netflix started showing me some East Asian titles.  As an American who has lived in India for the past 30 years, I have become accustomed to watching shows with subtitles.  So whether the actors are speaking Hindi, Japanese, Mandarin, or Korean, really doesn’t effect how I enjoy the show.  After all I’m after a good story.

For some reason the Japanese show “Good Morning Call   caught my attention.  I was in the mood for just a light hearted simple romance.  Considering the fact that the couple were in their late teens and still in high school it was kind of refreshing that all the students weren’t sleeping together and bed hopping a la “The O.C.” I was intrigued by how the school was portrayed (and no I don’t think that is how Japanese High Schools are, but just as there is a kernel of truth in US teenage dramas, I wondered where the Kernel was in “Good Morning Call”.  Watching the young couple dance around each other, and waiting for those first touches and the first kiss. The awkward single arm pull in and hug, reminded me of my youth and dating an Indian.  While I railed at so much of the extreme stoicness of Uehara, I empathized with the characters as my husband was similar. Hiding behind emotions that he’d never been taught to identify and really having issues with any type of PDA, because people might talk. 

            I watched both seasons and was quite happy with that warm and fuzzy feeling you get after a romantic comedy. I wanted more. 

            The next thing I found was “Boys Before Flowers”, this drama sucked me in quickly, and yet left me ranting and raving.  Lee Min Ho’s character drove me mad, he was such a spoiled rotten kid and I’ve met so many of those in my life and it rarely works out well for their partners.  I just kept wanting to tell the character Geum Jan Di, played by Ku Hye-Sun, don’t fall for the selfish pretty boys.  They’re cute, they are fun to date, but for the long hall they will break your heart over and over.  While I loved Lee Min Ho’s acting, I preferred the character Yoon Ji Hoo, played by Kim Hyun-joong.  Yoon Ji Hoo made her laugh, she was comfortable with him, but like all young girls/women it is that racing of the heart, the thought that I can change him.  That the person he is with me is the real him, when most often the actions of the love interest towards people they don’t love, is the real them.

Again “Boys Before Flowers”, made me reminisce dating my husband.  Like the women in these shows, I had very limited experience with the opposite sex.  I had had only one serious relationship and that one had ended more with a whimper than a bang, at least from my side.  With my husband, we started dating with the intention that it would end, he was almost 5 years older than me and planned to return to his country and I was too young to think about anything more than dating.  Problem is the heart wants what the heart wants.  I chose to have an intimate relationship with him assuming we would not end up with each other, because I didn’t want to grow old regretting.  In these teen age shows the societal restrictions kept overshadowing young love and they hide the hormonal excess of young men and women.

Since I liked Lee Min Ho so much in “Boys Before Flowers”, I then watched “The Inheritors”, also known as “Heirs”.  While watching “Heirs”, I realized that my favorite subplot involving Choi Jin-Hyuk, was closer to an adult intimate relationship.   There didn’t seem to be any coyness or false modesty in the relationship between Choi Jin-Hyuk’s character, Kim Won and Jeon Hyun-Joo.  I realized I wanted to take that same happy ending feeling into a show with adult relationships. 

            So began my binge watching of “You Are My Destiny”, the love couple are both adults, Kim Mi Young played by Jang Na-ra, is a young woman infatuated with one of the lawyers in the firm she is working in as what I assume is a paralegal.  Lee Gun played by Jang Hyuk is a man in love with a professional ballet dancer, who puts her career above her relationship.  She loves Lee Gun, but like many people, believes that the can take love for granted.  I liked the way decisions were taken.  More importantly I fell in love with Jang Hyuk’s acting.  Initially I was hooked by his presence, I have to admit, while the young men in the earlier shows are undeniably attractive and good actors, I felt a bit pervy. Though I know they are adults they are a bit boyish for my grown woman’s taste.  Jang Hyuk on the other hand looked like a man a woman could lean on, that he had been seasoned with time.  However, his acting is what struck me to the core.  He was fun and playful, stoic and strong, an abyss of mourning, full of need while at the same time protecting his loved ones.  He was there to protect his women and give them a safety net while at the same time encouraging them to be their best selves and to follow their dreams. 

            These characteristics are the same that made me fall in love with my husband.  We started out liking each other, wishing to date, but knowing that as an only son he had responsibilities and duties owed to his parents.  I at 18 had no desire to become serious with anyone.  He made my chest ache.  Looking at him made my heart skip and pound.  I was dating a couple of other guys at the time.  I had just finished a serious relationship when I began college.  I did not wish to be exclusive nor did I want a serious relationship.  I wanted to concentrate on the college experience.  He needed to finish his MBA and return home.  We were honest with each other, just not to ourselves.  I met him in January and was in love by March.  In February he kissed me as we took a walk around campus after a birthday dinner for common friends.  It was frantic as my back was against a tree.  Pent up longing erupted and we didn’t have a clue. 

            That is what the K-dramas bring back to this older middle aged woman, who has been married for 30+ years to that Asian man.  Reliving the frustration of no PDA, having to teach him to identify and express his emotions because no one explained to him that your partner can’t read your mind, so you actually have to say the words “I Love You”.  35+ years of getting him to understand that I don’t need him to fix all of my problems, just listen as I talk about them sometimes.  I needed him to learn that while trinkets and luxuries were nice, it was his time spent with me that was the best gift.  The nights under blankets holding one another that brought me peace and a sense of safety.  The K-dramas stripped away the years of being the corporate wife, the soccer mom, the volunteer, the memsahib, the madam.  It stripped me of all the things I’ve had to become and allowed me to be the young woman who looked at the young man and lived for the moment for that connection, that catch in the breath, the longing for that “accidental” touch of hands in public, that secret smile of knowing that when we were alone I could touch to my heart’s content, the knowing that wherever he was, he was mine and mine alone.  More importantly, as an older woman I can look at my man with decades of knowledge of knowing who he is and I still feel the longing to walk the plaza holding his hand and knowing he is mine and when we are alone that touch will once again make me feel safe at home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Much Loved Woman

Spaghetti for Christmas (recipe)

Who’s Who of Indian Relatives